Holy Rosary with Mother Angelica

Holy Rosary with Mother AngelicaSurprisingly, after three months of being forced to watch TV, this is the first time I have had to watch Holy Rosary with Mother Angelica on EWTN.

A bunch of nuns are falling asleep and chanting some religious whatzit. They are lead by their fearless and big cheeked leader, Mother Angelica. She looks a bit like that dog on Tom and Jerry. I think his name was Spike.

I’m not sure what purpose this show serves, besides creeping me out. A blank room full of nuns sitting down and chanting at nothing in particular is all kinds of scary. Maybe one of them is Eric Idle in disguise! I sure hope so.

If a Catholic out there would like to explain what a holy rosary is, don’t bother. I really don’t care. That’s knowledge I don’t need. I never plan to be on Jeopardy or win any game of Trivial Pursuit.

If these nuns were looking right into the camera, I would swear they were trying to hypnotize me.

Oh no! Someone just got murdered! Just kidding. They are all still sitting there.

This does sort of explain how some people see Jesus in tacos and in an oil stain under a bridge. If you can stare at something and drone on like this for long enough, your eyes are bound to try and make up something more interesting to keep you from going insane.

Another thing about this “show,” there are multiple camera angles. Multiple camera angles! Do you understand me? There is nothing to see! There is nothing to hear! Why is there even one camera, let alone many cameras?

There are DVDs of this thing! They are trying to sell me a DVD! So I can watch it again and again!

There was an explosion! Will Mother Angelica be alive next episode? What a cliffhanger!

EDIT: 2014-08-06
Making fun of how someone looks is dumb. I agree. However, I maintain that this show is creepy.

Comments

1. You need to have Sushi TV on your schedule of things to watch. The last I knew it was on the TV Guide channel at 9:00 CST on Tuesdays

2. What is the point of the show? Is it a “real” show? (live and sh*t?) Reading about it makes me feel bad that you had to endure 30 min. of it. BORING! But you still seem to lighten the mood with smart comments. Too good!

3. Confused says:

I find it astonishing that you could be so rude about a woman who has accomplished so much and not even care. I also find it sad that you subject yourself to watching TV that you dont even want to watch anyways and then leave comments on the web which portray you as both rude and highly immature! Mother Angelica blowing up? Please consider using your valuble time in a wiser fashion!

4. I can see how, if you don’t know about or share Catholic beliefs, watching the recitation of the Rosary can be mind-dumbingly boring and down-right silly. But one thing I would like to suggest, while you are spending your time watching TV shows that you find boring, annoying, or stupid, is that you find the time to watch two things:

1) a medical show. Yea, I’m sure you found it HILARIOUS that Mother Angelica looks like a bulldog. If your own mother suddenly began to look like that, you’d be forced to learn about something called Cushing’s Disease. Making fun of someone for the way they look due to a disease is just as ignorant and intolerant as making fun of certain gay men for the way they dress and speak.

2) any show about the lives, beliefs, history, or customs of any people other than yourself. It’ll really help. That is, unless you enjoy going through life misunderstanding, mocking, and hating everything and everyone you meet!

5. amazed grace says:

Hum,

Aren’t you just a nasty, unhappy camper? But I’ve a suggestion that will just wisk all those horrible Catholic nuns praying the Rosary out of sight and out of mind for you: change the channel… duh!

It’s kinda denotes the pitiful state of your ability to reason that you watch a Catholic channel and then complain that it’s Catholic… again, duh?

And, just to show us (as if there were any doubt) that not only are you unable to reason, you are narrow minded as well… You admit you don’t know bumpkus about Catholics or what you are seeing and then state “and I don’t want to know!” Well, hey! That’s pretty obvious ‘eah?

Remember now, (and I’ll say this R-E-A-L slow so’s you get it) J-U-S-T C-H-A-N-G-E T-H-E C-H-A-N-N-E-L and all those “nasty nuns” will just POOF! Go away…

Jeeze, you must have a hard, nasty, life sistah, cause you IS mean, mean, spirited.

6. Speaking of not knowing “bumpkus,” you obviously have no idea what this site is about.

7. Hee. “amazed grace” thinks you’re a girl.

8. It’s great, she is praying for the whole world, I know I need prayers in my life…

YOU TUBE video of Mother Angelica Praying the Rosary

9. Gosh, if anyone needed to be prayed for . . . When one closes their eyes it is to shut out distractions and to go within. Can you do that, or da ya jist fall sleep? Your soul is starving, dude. Wake up, open your eyes, there is more to life than picking things apart you obviously have no knowledge nor care to. Perhaps someone will find the compassion in their heart to pray for you. And we will probably have our eyes closed. Mother has lived through more pain and work than your narrow field of vision can comprehend.

10. Br. Maynard says:

It is quite a wonderful thing to read these comments and see how many people are standing up for Mother Angelica.

11. Satan has got your soul my boy! That is why the Rosary gives you the “creeps.” Don’t you know it is the most powerful weapon against satan. Praise God for Mother Angelica she has cooperated with grace to save souls like yours. Maybe you should buy a rosary have it blessed and pray it. Don’t you know that they are meditating upon the mystries of Jesus Christ straight from the gospel when they are saying these prayers. You should do the same it is the most sure way to save your soul…outside of worship at the most Holy Mass. Get educated–check it out! Vist EWTN website all your questions can be answered there. Good luck on your journey to heaven.
    Will keep you in my prayers!
    Love JoAnn

12. I like the way that Satan tickles my soul, it makes me all gooey inside. He can hold it in his deliciously diabolical hands for as long as he likes, if he keeps thrilling me the way he does.

You Catholics are no fun.

13. Viktor Sekowski says:

Your comment about Mother Angelica is very rude and innappropriate. It is very clear that you are ignorant, as she did many great things for this world.
    Next time, why won’t you comment an Islamic prayer show; you probably know as much about Islam as about Catholism. I would love to see people’s response on what you think Islamic prayer is and what the imam looks like etc.
    You wouldn’t even dare, because probably you wouldn’t be alive the next day!
    When it comes to religious matters, just be quiet, until you learn something about it. Keep your intolerance to yourself.

14. Welcome back! Some of us out here (at least those of us who know what this site is all about AND who have a sense of humor!) missed you and your witty perspective. It’s astounding to ME that people blindly make comments about that which they know nothing of– kind of exactly what some of them are accusing you of doing?!
    It’s nice when “good” people ALSO remember that not everything in life needs to be taken so seriously at ALL times. Thanks for doing your part in making the world a more amusing place to read about!

15. dennis villa says:

ignorant people like you are usually remembered in the prayers of the nuns who say the rosary for the souls of the faithful.

16. The power of the rosary is a great weapon against Satan and all evil spirits in our spiritual warfare. It would do you much good to learn to pray the rosary. There are 15 promises from the Holy Mother of God which fortifies the soul for eternal salvation for those who pray the rosary daily.

17. Does the rosary work as a weapon against bigfoot, the mothman, and other nonsense too?

18. I feel pity for those who find no comfort except in ridicule or comedy. In there are great audiances, great armor to hid behind, but every one during a life time is driven to their knees at least once by some thing.

In that darkness of your mind and spirit when no ridicule or comedy or audiance is around . . . only pain or emptyness . . . who do you ask for? What solace do you find? Would you tell anyone, truly, if they asked?
    Many will rebutle with comedy or off color remarks.
    But, if for a moment, your mind strayed to that dark time, you have a chink in your armor. To many of us a prayer oh so simple as the name Jesus, heals chinks. It’s all most of us we want to tell you. Ridicule and comedy have its place. But what you sling is from a far more scary place.

19. That is quite the straw man you have built. You’re making a large leap in assuming I have no comfort aside from comedy.

20. Bettye JO says:

Who invented the rosary anyway? It wasn’t Jesus. He didn’t say, Oh, & by the way, after I finish giving myself up for the sins of the world, you better keep prayin the rosary,,just in case…NO, As Christ hung on the cross He said , “It is finished!” He also said during His ministry that “your righteousness is like filthy rags before me.” So the only thing a person CAN DO is to accept Christs sacrifice for the sake of thier salvation. No one can add to what He has done for us. Jesus did this to provide the atonement that is needed to restore our fellowship with Him. So instead of critisiziing each other we can REJOICE because He has paid for our sins. Jesus also says in the scriptures, “I am the way, the truth & the life . No one comes to the Father but through Me” The good news is that we don’t need RELGION. We only need Jesus.

21. Holy Rosary with Mother Angelica? What channel is this on? actually, i’ll just look for it online :)

22. Only a poor lost soul would spew such criticism. Anger and hate only show your fear. I will be sure to remember you and the others who have responded negatively in my prayers. May the Holy Spirit touch your heart and lead you to a place of peace and love.

23. Stop making fun of Mother Angelica ,Stop being rude to Her She would never do that to You!! HAIL MARY FULL OF GRACE THE LORD IS WITH THEE BLESSED ATR THOU AMONGST WOMEN AND BLESSED IS THE FRUIT OF THY WOMB JESUS HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD PRAY FOR US SINNERS NOW AND AT THE HOUR OF OUR DEATH .AMEN.

24. cecile says:

I stand by the recent comment I posted ,Pray for Mother Angelica please in Her suffering

25. Anyone who speaks negatively towards
    Mother Angelica, The Rosary, and the
    Blessed Virgin Mary, need a lot of prayers. You need to learn a little more about Religion, for evidently you
    don’t have any at all. May God have
    mercy on your souls.

26. John Callum says:

Hey clueless liberal imbecile – get that?: *IMBECILE* – don’t f___ing watch if you don’t like it. Go suck your boyfriend’s liberal member, queer. Let me guess, you’re an anti-traditionalist America-hater who favors the paternalistic welfare state and falls right in line with our “president”. You reject everything this nation was founded upon, right idiot? You are a child of the NEW order and belong to the rainbow coalition – oh, and you’ve taken a few college courses, so you know it all, right queer? Recommendation is this, waste of oxygen – since your opinion is worth nothing, stick it straight up your anal cavity and twist it hard.

27. MOTHER ANGELICA AND HER NUNS ARE ANGELS FOR CLEAN PEOPLE NOT NASTY ONES WITH EVIL LOOKS AND HEARTS , PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE SICH AND SHOULD VISIT PSYCHIATRICS AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK. I AGREE WITH ALL WHAT IS SAID IN THE COMMENTS AND CAN’T FIND WORDS FOR SUCH LOW STANDARD OF PERSONS.SINCE YEARS WE WAIT AT HOME FOR THAT SACRED HOUR OF THE HOLY ROSARY WITH MOTHER ANGELICA AND EHR NUNS.

28. Anonymous says:

Hey, if you don’t like it, turn the channel! Your comments toward a holy woman are disgusting! And I’m not Catholic! I dare you to comment on a Muslim shiek, you wouldn’t dare! Ignorant person who takes his freedom for granted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. I see that really no one has answered your question, about what a Rosary is. Though you asked us not to bother, I will, because others may be interested.

The Rosary is a collection of prayers — specifically, the Apostle’s Creed (what Catholic Christians believe); the Our Father (the prayer Jesus gave us) the Hail Mary; and The Glory Be (a prayer of praise to the Trinity). Some add a prayer to Jesus that asks him to save souls from the fires of Hell.

At the end, a prayer called “Hail, Holy Queen” is prayed. ALL of these prayers are from the earliest days of the Church. They are available to EVERYONE — not just Catholics.

It is often said that Catholics don’t know or understand the Bible, but did you know that while praying the prayers of the Rosary, we meditate on the Mysteries of the Rosary. In other words, we think about what happened in the life of Jesus Christ as we know it from the Bible. The tradition 15 are:

Annunciation (Mary is visited by the Angel Gabriel)
    Visitation (Mary visits the mother of St. John the Baptist)
    Nativity (Jesus Christ is born)
    Presentation (of Jesus in the Temple)
    Finding (of Jesus when he was older, found teaching in the Temple)

Agony (in the Garden before he died)
    Scourging (for our sins)
    Crowning with Throrns (for our sins)
    Carrying of the Cross (for our sins)
    Crucifixion (again, for our sins)

Resurrection (Jesus Christ is Risen)
    Ascension (of Jesus to His Father in Heaven)
    Descent of the Holy Spirit (the birth of the Church)
    Assumption (of Mary into Heaven)
    Crowning of Mary (Queen of Heaven)

There are five additional mysteries about the life of Jesus. For more information, I suggest you go to EWTN.com and go to the Prayers section.

Thanks for the opportunity to explain more about what the Rosary is. Many, many people find comfort and peace in this devotion.